Friday, May 23, 2008

Uncle remembered

My uncle passed away on Tuesday night from liver cancer. Towards the end of his life, he was in a lot of pain. He wasn't able to eat and he doesn't have a lot of strength. He was in and out of hospital numerous times for the past one year. It was a painful time for him and his family.

My mom had called me on Tuesday night after my drinks with a colleague about 10-ish. She told me that he had passed on and my parents were going over there. So I told her I'll meet her there since their home and my office wasn't that far anyway. I was surprised to see his friends from church were there and they were already doing the prayers. My uncle was still on his death bed. Surprisingly, my aunt was calm. She had 2 years to mentally prepared herself for that day I guess.

I never knew my uncle well although he is my mom's brother-in-law. But what I could recall about him was, he always had nice things to say about me. Be it my studies, my looks or even my job. He always had compliments and praises for me. I had visited him only once in hospital although he was in and out of hospital and that was the last time I saw him. I still remembered his last words to me was,"Its never about what you know but WHO you know that will help you open doors". Wise words indeed.

On the second night of the wake, I was shocked to see so many people gathered at their home. I never knew my uncle had that much of friends. I never knew him to be that sociable. Surprised I was. As I sat there, I realized, its really his blessings to have so many friends that had cared about him and he has been very loyal to all his friends. The throngs of friends kept coming and going through the 2 days of wake. This is what my uncle would have loved. Noise, fun and friends gathered. He was never alone throughout the 2 days. My cousin was telling me, even on his deathbed, church members will gather around his bed and sing and praise the Lord. In fact, I felt that my uncle was ready to walk with Lord for eternity. His body might have been wasted, but his mind was alert and ready to be with Lord's presence. That was how strong his faith was.

At the end of it all, I'm sad but glad. He would be sorely missed but I'm glad he doesn't have to suffer in pain anymore and he is walking with Lord Almighty. Below are some pictures we last took. It was last year and it was his birthday.

L-R : My aunt, my late uncle, my dad and my mom
All of us at dinner

1 comments:

Ajjerrysaid...

My condolence.. ppl come and go.. I guess its part of life..