Tuesday, May 06, 2008

My Pulau Weh dive trip

I've been in Pulau Weh, Acheh for the past 8 days. For the first time, I sat in a ferry that carries passengers, goods, vehicles, cargoes and whatever imaginable item. Also, it was an experience of its own trying to get in and out of the ferry. All was good from the trip to LCCT to Banda Acheh. Given the sparse condition of the airport I had no expectations whatsoever of my accomodations. Imagine that there isn't any aircond in the immigration area and there isn't any sign that dictates it being an immigration area. I guess I was lucky to be traveling with the dive center owner, Steffen Ng or very well known as Old Man or Pak Tua to the locals. Steffen Sea Sports had setup their establishment here in Pulau Weh for the past 6 months. Things has been slow but progressing for them. The only thing stopping is the local culture or adat. This is something we all have to come terms to. Also, when we were traveling in the local cab, I was given a scenic view of how Banda Acheh is rebuilding itself post tsunami. It is surprising that the roads are still full of pot holes, houses half built on small plots of land.

Anyhow, upon reaching the town of Pulau Weh, Sabang. I've never seen anything this remote and anything this backward. There were people everywhere and live animals everywhere, chicken, ducks, cats, goats, cows, dogs. You name it, I've seen them all here. It is backward but the people are friendly. I was greeted by friendly "salak" fruit sellers who were keen to give us a try of salak. All the while, the people of Sabang will close their shops from 1-5pm daily. Thus, we were given yet another scenic tour of Pulau Weh. It is really beautiful to say the least. The view of the oceans was enough to captivate me. Its really an untouched beauty but marred with the destruction of tsunami. My first meal at Sabang a plate of wantan mee in a Chinese shop. I must say its one of the best wantan mee around minus the beansprouts. But love it, I did. In all honesty, I haven't thought Sabang to be all that. I was expecting a rustic environment but I didn't expect to find a township~! After settling our tummies and bought enough snacks and junk food to last, we made our way to Gapang Beach, that's where SSS is and that's where rustic came into mind. Imagine, big wooden chalets, badly maintain, toilet with just a big tub and a squat toilet. Rooms equipped with not working tv. At the end, I decided to bunk in with the dive center. Cheap, with shower system and toilet bowls~~!!

The whole dive center was run by Pak Tua (instructor), Harvey(DM) and 3 Indonesians. Its a sight to behold when you realized that these 5 men are helped by the locals and trying to understand the locals. While we were there, there were another 2 divers from Penang and a group of Open Water students from Medan. I must say, its a small setup for now, but they are one of the best and with Old Man being the best in the industry. I've got no complains.

The dive sites there are thriving with corals. There was one site with just a wall full of sea fans (Peneuteng). There is one full of table corals (Monkey Reef) and there is also swimming with a school of manta rays. That was the highlight of the whole dive trip~~!!! Even the small jellyfish stings also didn't even seem to hurt that much :) I have a lot of video to prove~~!! Wait for it to be uploaded :p

At the end of the day, I went home realizing and appreciating the luxuries I get in KL. All it takes is a trip to the backward area to make me realized the luxuries I have here. And we can't complain about Pulau Weh because TIA (THIS IS ACHEH~~!!)

0 comments: