Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Welcome to the REAL world~~!!

I received a rude shock when I just started working. There were so many different things to learn and I don't expect anyone to teach me. But then, its really like paying life's dues. Moreover, its at times like this I realized that all my 19 years of education from kindergarten right up to tertiary education had not prepared me for it. What's worse is that most of the time, those with the right balance of street smart attitude and the paper education will succeed and leaving the rest of us to ponder about it. Most of the time in my job, thinking on my feet, out of the box and think fast. These are the soft skills that formal education had not prepared me for. C'mon, we all know about Malaysian education that is more or less spoon fed and basically memorize everything and literally "vomit" it all out during exams.

That's why when I first started working I realized they are people that is just so straight. Its difficult working with people when they are following the books and not knowing the difference between a violation and flexibility. I mean there are times where certain things that if you do cross a line, it is a violation and there are certain things when you do it, its ok. And there is a reason for process and procedures to ensure we do not break any rules or regulations and thus, saving our asses. However, nowadays with people that just follows the rules by the book, these process and procedures are taken like a bible. Where everything must be followed to the T, not a single thing left out and not a single thing to be missed. It gets to the point of annoying and too much. Don't get me wrong. I am not hiding anything or I'm not being truthful. I am. Just that there are certain things which can be interpreted differently but its so subjective that we can't argue and all our point of view have fallen on deaf ears.

So in the end, its frustrating and it is really the REAL world where we get to see different people, learn how to manage different people and learn how to get a job done that is a win-win situation for everyone. Difficult but hey, that's what I'm paid to do. Let's face it, if there is no curve ball in life, life is very boring and the journey of it will just be flat.

0 comments: