Tuesday, December 25, 2007

People Watching Thoughts

One of my favorite pastime now is to people watch. There is so much fun when I look in disbelief at youngsters around the age of 12 or 13, just entering their teenage phase, holding hands and acting all lovey dovey and proclaiming their everlasting love. Then there is the young adults getting all touchy and feely with Public Displays of Affections taken literally. After that, there's always the young parents trying to control their toddlers without any success and middle aged parents staring into space without a single word to their kids that are either busy with their phones (text messaging their friends on the latest gossip or their boredom), their PSP, their Nintendo DS or their iPods. And finally, there's the senior citizen who wants to be involved with their offsprings' lives and their grandkids' lives to no avail. That's just the summary or how I generalize people. There's always the exceptions which I'm beginning to see a lot of.

Firstly, there's the young adults like me typing furiously away at her laptop as though she's doing something serious but half the time I'm just plain surfing with earphones plugged to eliminate all outside noise. Give and take the laptop, there's always the PDA, PSP, iPod, phones or whatever the technology fancy schmancy gadgets. Then, there is the group of young adults hanging around at Starbucks, Coffee Bean or even the good old neighborhood mamak. After that, there are parents who are getting younger and younger. I mean, those kids don't even look like they are capable of taking care of themselves what more a small kid. And don't get me started on the teenagers who hasn't have the capability to earn a living yet, their expenditure on material goods are extravagant. Teen consumerism lives on to the happy retailers of "branded" goods and all things fashionable. Senior citizens now has taken a nonchalant outlook of the young ones, giving support whenever they could and turning a blind eye to their frivolous ways.

I remember once when I was in Singapore, I saw this granny sitting at the HDB foodcourt with the maid, tagging along with the maid who is meeting with her friends for lunch. What saddens me is that, this is what the future has come to. I hope that is not what our future generation will be. The old folks following the maid instead of their own kids, looking lost amidst all the foreigners and pretending that they are not hurt by the slight given by their kids. I'm not exactly a filial daughter and I'm definitely not the best role model for a daughter but I'm sure I wouldn't relegate my duties as a daughter to the maid~~!!! That scene really caught me by surprise. In the end, I just shook my head hoping to get the image of the granny out of my head. I mean really, I can't imagine my own parents in that situation. I hope I'm wrong about the granny's kids. I hope I'm dead wrong about them.

For this Christmas, I hope that there is really a spread of love throughout the world and a genuine care to the youngs and seniors. I hope I can do that too and let peace be with all those in a stress-filled world.

2 comments:

Anonymoussaid...

lol! i just cant stand couples doing the P.D.A stuff.. especially when they're my own frens.. haha

Aizadsaid...

i do hate spoilt brats who thinks the world revolves around their iPod and PS2 and also Harry Potter books. nowadays there are no more child that spends their time climbing trees, or bathing in the river, or even playing hide and seek! modern children are spoiled with the luxury of technology and sedentary entertainment.

we can't blame them all. the rivers are polluted, roadways are full of vehicles, trees are cut down. our children are the victims of our actions. i do hope that one day, my children won't be in that position. i'll toughen up my kids!