Friday, December 21, 2007

of Family Holidays and me

I'm finally blogging about my holiday last week. Yes, I finally did go for my leave and it was to Bintan, Indonesia. To those who know Bintan, its a Singaporean haunt in Indonesia. Everything is transacted in Singapore Dollars. Expensive (for Malaysians) and yet, the nearest island resort within the area. For me, it was a much needed R&R. I was practically unwilling to leave the beach. Sun tanning myself in the sun while reading is something that I haven't been able to do for a long time. I actually embraced the sun, sitting right under the sun rays, soaking it all up. Of coz, I got myself burnt in the process but nevertheless I was happy that I'm burnt. Don't ask why.

It was a family get-together thingy where all 3 sisters are united to foot the bill and family unity with parents and what more its done before Christmas. For those who don't know me, I've 2 sisters working in Singapore. I don't see them very often, maybe 4 times a year and I think I can calculate the number of days with my hands. Also, its difficult to schedule a time where all the family members are free. Last year was at Singapore, year before Penang and previously Bangkok, this time round it was more R&R. A well needed rest for me. Hence, we always try to organize something where the whole family can spend time together.

Nowadays, I feel that it is such a luxury to be able to just take time out and do nothing. It is really something that I used to take granted for. Usually, human nature will make us feel the guilt in just doing nothing. I have to repeatedly tell myself, its ok not to check on work, sms or call office and definitely ok not to check our e-mails. Although I can't say the same for my sister where she was practically glued to her BlackBerry. That's modern technology for you. Human race suddenly has a need to stay online, stay on the know, must be updated and informed. But what I realized is, its ok if you are 1 day late in catching up with news. The incident has already happened, and its not like knowing the news will make you save the situation or will impact your life anyhow. I'm not talking about 9/11 type of disasters. I'm talking about simple stuff like floods, fire or even a new iMac launch (if there ever was one). :)

Interestingly, my whole trip was spent reading about Steve Wozniak. To those in IT line, you might know him. To the uninitiated, he is the other Steve that started Apple. It was interesting as Steve Wozniak was relating his experience in developing Apple I and Apple II and all the electronic components involved. And he made it sound real simple. I mean, coming from this engineering graduate who had no clue what she had studied in her 4 years in university actually and finally understood what her lecturers was trying to tell then~~!! No wonder I switch jobs. I admire Steve Wozniak for his foresight and also, his courage. To me, he seems to be a humble guy and he doesn't have a desire for greatness. But he did have a desire to make personal computer accessible at a lower rate for the world. And what a fella he is. Hats off to him.

So that's how I spent my holiday with my family. I shall not bored you with the details of my spa experience, although I might one fine day. But that's all for now. And I came home, with a burnt face and chest and a red nose, it was definitely well worth it.

0 comments: