Monday, February 11, 2008

Peace and Quiet Overrated

Its now the 5th day of CNY. The Year of Rat so far has brought me a good sizeable bounty in terms of Ang Pau money :) My house was filled with noisy in the past four days. People coming and going, tv is forever blaring something with loud chinese songs or rather for the 3 sisters at home any english channels. After the 4 days of constant noise and people in and out, when I came back home last night, the house was literally pin drop silence. Somehow, all the warmth and joy of CNY is no longer in the atmosphere. It was very quiet because most of our relatives starting work monday or tuesday, my 2 sisters went back to Singapore. So basically, it felt kinda cold and it was like warmth and joy has been sucked out of my home. It just felt weird after 4-5 days of constantly seeing my sisters and literally with them being in your face, especially at night when my 2nd sister's feet on my head, I missed the warmness of being in family with all its members. There is a certain closeness, a sense of familiarity, that is created by the ties of family bond which can't be replicated elsewhere. I guess I'm just experiencing withdrawal symptoms without my sisters around me. It felt good as the responsibilities were divided 3 ways and it kept my parents occupied as well, instead of just me and my parents seeing me only. :)

Also there was this constant battle to be Joshua's favorite aunt, which I was the holder of it till this CNY. Joshua is my nephew, the cutest little thing that can be created and with a big love for Thomas & Friends. This cartoon is about Thomas the Engine in a railway and his adventures with other engines. Now, this cartoon has almost 60 over characters and that boy knows most of them. Mind you, there all almost the same color and some are identical twins, so go figure how a 2 year old can remember so much. Let me get back to our battle, I started with playing with him and his Thomas set and singing the theme song. My sister upped it to searching for Thomas's pictures on her blackberry so that the boy will be entertained while we are at the restaurant or where ever (talk about mobility and its advantages~!). Then, my other sister decided to push the game to the limits by going online, take pictures of the characters and then recorded the song on her camera. During the dinner, prior to food arriving, Joshua was stuck to my sister, practically attached to her hips, identifying all the characters. So now, I'll have to find something to up her if not, I'll not be able to wrestle back the title. Sigh.. Kids must learn the meaning of loyalty :p

In the end, having always said that I treasure my peace and quiet, in this instance, I find it overrated. Come to think of it, I even missed listening to one of my sisters' snores :p

0 comments: