Friday, February 22, 2008

Kids First, Marriage Later?

There are times when I thought that there is a certain agenda to life. Baby, kid, kindergarten, primary school, secondary school, college, university, work, boyfriend, marriage, kids, grow old then die. That to me is the agenda of life, a cycle where one goes through in sequence. Nowadays, its normal to hear that this is sequence is jumbled or even missed a stage. I might not be the best person and I'm not being judgmental or casting the first stone. Its just that what has happened to society's moral? I had always thought as Asians, we had a high moral standard, be it with family, life or just outlook. This year, I've heard like 4-5 friends or acquaintances pregnant and having kids before marriage.

I know I'm judging people where all these while I told myself, I shouldn't. But then again, if 2 people are very sure of what their destiny holds, then getting together for the sake of the kid doesn't seem like a bad idea. However, even those who are legally married and followed the sequence, isn't always right. I went to play with my nephew Joshua today. I was down and needed some cheer me up. Selfish as it may seem but Joshua gives me the ability to lose myself in him and playing with him has always made me laugh. There's something different with Joshua recently. He has been good, no longer his naughty self. It seems like he just grew up during CNY period. He is no longer demanding and is always cheerful and happy. After playing with him, as I was about to leave, I noticed that the boy was sad. It doesn't help that I could see all the boy wanted was a playmate and his parents to be home. He wanted to follow me and even brought his shoes out to wear so that he can accompany me. It broke my heart that I had to disappoint him and him with his head hung low, he went back inside to return his shoes to its place.

Maybe there is a sequence of events that are meant to happen. But when it follows the sequence, it might not bring out the best results. I see some of my friends, happy with their kids and enjoying the stability in their life. It makes me wonder, what it actually takes to be a set of good parents and to be happy and at peace with your own self. I guess I have a long way to learn on this matter.

1 comments:

Ajjerrysaid...

Hmm.. am I thinking wat I think u are thinking? Having kids first? Just let me know when u need it...:)