Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Love is in the air?

With Valentine's Day around the corner, all the lovey dovey signs and sappy love songs with sentimental tone have been thrown right into our face without any embarrassment and reserves. For those of us who are single, it is the time for us to reminisce about our lack of partners and for those who are in a relationship, its a time to crack your head on what to do, eat, wear and give. Its funny that just because V Day is near, everyone is clamoring to fall in love and act all lovey dovey complete with the doe eyes.

I wonder what is it about days like these? Does it mean we should all have that one day to declare our love to our partners? Why can't it be a day other than V Day? Must we all be similar and do the same things as people all around the world? Shouldn't it be mean something special rather than conforming to the general behavior? I've always wondered about this and also for the fact that I've successfully remained dateless on V Day. In all honesty, I haven't had a Valentine's celebration even while I'm in a relationship. Well, to me, I feel that its a waste of money to be wine and dine on a heart shaped steak and bad sparkling juice. I've never really liked flowers as I wouldn't know what to do with it once it withers and dries up. I've always loved chocolates and only have a liking for dark chocolates, my current love is Dark Chocolate Snickers Bar where it is not even available in Malaysia. Cynical as it may sound, I don't see a point in wasting money for V day where it is like every other day.

Having said all that, I've got a call from a friend who is reeling from the effects of being rejected to go out on Valentine. All I could think of to say in consolation was, good, you can save some money now :) But I was talking to him, I realized my outlook on relationship has changed. Last time, I used to think guys should always make the first move and there should always be a question of "will you be my gf?"

But last night, I've come to realized that if the relationship is meant to be, ie the guy and the girl has a certain feeling for each other, they will work things out and things will naturally fall into place. There isn't a need for a specific question and there isn't a need for a specific to-do list. If both parties are keen, there will always be a way and a mean to work things out. Yes, you might have the what ifs and the where am I feeling but for me that is part and parcel of falling in love and being in a relationship. You can't really know that one person so well that you can read the mind 100%. It will always be a gambling game where you take your chances and hope you bet on the right number. Humans will constantly change and when dealing with human behavior there isn't one sure proof way. Learn to be flexible and learn to go with the flow. You might end up surprising yourself with the results. I am still constantly surprised by the journey that I've taken.

0 comments: