Monday, November 26, 2007

Of Weddings and Riots....

It has been a weekend of sorts once again. With Sook Yan's dinner on Saturday, clubbing with friends after that and colleague's wedding dinner on Sunday and also the riots on Sunday morning. It was definitely an eventful weekend. Pictures from Sook Yan's do.

My weekend started with a massage. A super relaxing one that the masseur knotted and kneaded all my tight and tense muscles. It was a painful experience~~!! My muscles especially my back and shoulder muscles as been at odds' ends. Add on with my yoga classes they have not been properly conditioned to the stress and the strenuous activities, i guess. My body felt loads better after the massage. It made me relax. After that, went to pick a friend up before getting ready for the dinner. Wore a low back black dress. My own LBD add on with gold earrings.

Sook Yan was beautiful in her maroon wedding dress and a cheongsam later on. I was so envious of her small waist and voluptuous body :) (oh well, time to hit the gym hard). The wedding dinner was fun as at our table was Jan Nie, Geena, Lai Peng, Chun Mun, Hai Yen, Emily, Wei Kang and Ken. We had fun time gossiping about others and catching up on the latest news of other people. A reunion of sorts for us ;p Some were saying we gather here just to gossip :p Also, during the toasting, I believe our table was the loudest for the "Yam Seng". Others that beg to defer, its ok, it will be rejected by us anyway ;)

We stayed on for a bit more before going home. Took pictures with the bride and groom before going back. We had accompanied Hai Yen, walking 4 floors up and down in search of her car. Things I'll forever remember Hai Yen for ;p (thanks babe for the workout after the heavy meal~~!!) After that, went back to change into something more comfortable, my ever trusty jeans and headed off to Velvet for the remainder of the night. Had my first taste of Macallan 12 years and Moet & Chandon. It was nice and I loved their taste, smooth and easy on the throat. Somehow Black Label didn't taste that fantastic after that. Partied with another bunch of people that night but saw some friends there as well. This time, one of them pulled me up the podium to dance but I was laughing nonstop at his antics rather than dancing. In the end, left at 2.30am and WALKed all the way to a mamak with the best curry fish head (or so they claim~!) But the roti canai and dhal was worth the trip there. It was one of the best dhal I've ever tasted.

The next day, I woke up to a large crowd outside gathering and protesting. It was super eventful as I sat there watching the large crowd running up and down, chanting and then see them washing their faces, hands and drinking from the water flowing in front of Maya. With the helicopters flying above our head, police issuing warnings asking the crowd to disperse. I can understand why the tear gas and water cannons were used. It was ridiculous. Just thought that there are better ways to demonstrate. What we all perceive as right and justice will be seen differently from those sitting on the other side of the fence. I am not saying I'm not sympathizing with the plights of minorities in Malaysia. Heck, I'm also a minority here but the fact is by demonstrating, protesting and disorderly conduct, EVERYONE is at the losing end. What good does it bring to demonstrate a rally on the basis that you want to submit a petition to the British High Commission when they are not there to receive it? What good does it bring to tear down the temple's gates, throwing stones, provoking the policemen, throwing bottles and Molotov cocktails? As I was browsing through some international headlines on this matter, there are some that neglected to mention that the crowd that had gathered were not peaceful and not orderly as they had promised. What was shown and edited was not exactly the true picture. It has only shown one side, the protesters' side. I hope that there is a better way to resolve this. There has to be rather than just a show of emotions on the streets where it waste money, resources, endangers public safety, pollutes country image and it ultimately means, no investors, bad economy and then the cycle starts all over again. Is it worth it? wouldn't the money spent on all these nonsense unfruitful business be better spent on improving the lives of the Indian community? It has always been an uphill battle to improve standards of living but if there isn't a determination and discipline of each individual, there's so much everyone else can do.

1 comments:

Ajjerrysaid...

that is what they called "The Black Parade"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha