Sunday, September 14, 2008

Love and Warmth

I'm starting to notice all the small and sometimes insignificant action can be an act of love from a mother to a child, a boyfriend to a girlfriend, between friends and even between two strangers. Why do you think I say that now? Maybe I've been blind all these while or maybe my heart and mind has not opened itself up to that notion. Last friday at a drinking session, a colleague suddenly announced (after a jug of beer, mind you) that he missed his mom and he wants to go back hometown. Oh well, all I could say was, that's a good boy. However, I wasn't convinced, but he was very adamant to correct me that there will be times he misses his mom so much, he will long to go home. Then, he went on to announced pragmatically this time, that he misses his girlfriend and he just wants some warmth. Now, I have nothing against that but the very fact that they both work in the same company, the meaning in your face 24 x 7 comes to mind. Once again, this colleague never fail to surprise me. He says he wants some warmth from his girlfriend. He just wants the closeness, hugs,mind you, and some quiet intimate time with his girlfriend without sex. Hmmm... I can understand the need to feel close to someone. In fact, the past week, I've been sms-ing a certain someone to say that I need loads of hugs and kisses to go through the week. And yes, I miss having someone by my side just to give me that uplifting hug when I most need it. But I've learnt to live on my own and celebrate the freedom of knowing someone is there for me and the sense of belonging without him being by my side all the time. For I know, I can be rest assured that the certain someone will come back and be by my side when the time comes.

Then, I started to notice that my parents do have their own way of showing their love. Mind you, us being Asians, we are not big on affection and the show of love. However, the little things that my parents do, bring a certain comfort and it shows love. Like my mom coming into my room mid morning during the weekends to pull the curtains together, so that this lazy pig of a daughter she has can have a longer sleep in. Or even like my dad, changing the light bulbs in my room when it gets dimmed or burnt. Although, my room now has different light colors, but that's another story. It is the action of it that shows love. As for me, I'm not sure how to react to my parents, but I know they enjoy the weekends where I bring them out shopping and lunch. It may not seem much to anyone else, but to them, its a time where I bring them out for a good meal and a look see of the other world where I frequent without them.

But in the end, with that colleague of mine, we parted ways after drinking because he has a sudden need to go Guardian to buy protection. So much for just hugs. :p

0 comments: