Monday, January 28, 2008

Of Singapore and Celebrity Deaths

Yes, you read it right. Its really about me, Singapore and celebrity death. The last few times I was in Singapore for training by my company, Anna Nicole Smith died and now Heath Ledger. All young celebrities who died before their time. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but Heath Ledger's death was a real complete surprise. I mean, he is really just 2 years older than me. Although he has achieved a lot in his short time, I mean, his achievement surpassed whatever I could do in my own lifetime. But in reality all the stuff that he did just doesn't lay the path of how he died. It was actually how he died and the speculation surrounding it. It just doesn't do justice for the work he did on screen. Moreover, his works was one of the most brilliant for an actor of his time. Look at his contemporary, are there any that can match his work and his intensity on how he brought his character to life, to relate to us.

I had loved him in "10 things I hate about you". The way he sang "Too Good To Be True" at the football field was just hysterical. "A Knight's Tale" was a super spin off of modern ways of life in the medieval times. I can't help but mention him in "The Patriot" and "Monster's Ball". There's his Oscar nominated role in "Brokeback Mountain". I know I can't see him as the gay cowboy but impress me he did in that role. As controversial his roles were, his on screen persona and his humble attitude had been a brilliant mix. But somehow, his best work on screen doesn't do justice to his death. People picketing outside the Screen Actors' Guild award to protest his death. I mean seriously, don't you guys have anything better to do? He might be a gay cowboy on screen, but off screen, he is straight as ever, with a string of ladies and a daughter to boot. Where's their compassion for his friends and family that are in mourning? In the end, who are they to pass judgement on whether Heath is in hell? I believe those who passed judgement on others, will be judged harsher when its their turn. The news of the picketers really struck a chord in me. The police are still unclear about his cause of death yet, there are some people picketing about his work on screen. GET A LIFE~~!!!

In the end, I just hope that Heath Ledger could be laid in peace and may he rest in peace forever in the city he had loved so much. I can't wait to see his last work, The Dark Knight. I know it will be good and I hope he gets an Oscar nomination posthumous. His portrayal of the Joker is scary as I watched the trailer months ago. It gave me goose bumps just watching it. I know I'll mourn in silent for the great actor he would be, but I also mourn the death of a brilliant actor that I had known since my university days.




0 comments: