Monday, October 22, 2007

Different religion?

There was a time when I thought 2 people that are in love can cross all hurdles to reach their happily ever after ending. I might be naive then or simplistic. But isn't all that matters the most in a relationship? Love and trust? I've learnt it is not all true. The person you marry, sleeping next to you every night is not the person you can trust the most. I've known married men who strays and thinks that it is ok. Because sex with different people is different and men are programmed to spread their genes. That very thought grossed me out and it still does. Its scary. In this world we live in where crime rates are climbing and its no longer safe just to walk out from the house. But that is another matter altogether.

There are skeptics out there that wonders about a happily ever after fairy tale ending. I admit I'm one of them now. Someone asked me whether I want to get married for the wedding or the marriage. You know girls always envisioned their own wedding ceremony, dress and the nitty gritty details. But that's the wedding CEREMONY not a marriage. A marriage is hard work. I always wonder did Cinderella really adjust to the palace life or did they divorce or stray (a'la Princess Diana) or did Snow White stay on with the 7 dwarfs? I've wised up. A marriage certificate doesn't mean that things will work out fine. It doesn't mean that when you ink your name on the dotted line and looking into your partner's eyes and say "I do", everything will be hunky dory. But it means that you have to work and had agreed to work to get to your destination. Marriage like any other relationship means hardwork. And this brings me back to my point, where 2 persons of different religion, background and culture, the work is harder and at times seem futile.

I've never thought of it this way. We might be promoting globalization, where we are all global citizens. But then, with recent wave of terrorism, new worries and headaches emerged. What used to be acceptable is frowned upon now and what liberal views we have, has been closed up and people are found guilty by association and found guilty without persecution. When I start going out with Issey, I start seeing things from a different perspective and what people's reactions are. Although its a common sight to see a mat salleh with a Chinese girl, the minute he introduce himself, people will start giving us the looks. Or in this case, me the looks, shock, surprise, horror and disgust are some of the looks I've received. Yes, Issey is a Muslim and he is half Kuwaiti as well, although he looks like a Caucasian. But then, what's the big deal? There are those who thinks that I'm after the money or that dating a Caucasian is a big deal.

For one, dating a Caucasian is not as hyped up as it seems. I know there are some Caucasian jerks out there. The verdict is out there for you to take sides. But I do admit that most of them that I know of are gentlemen and know how to take care of a lady with respect and as a partner, an equal. But that doesn't mean that we Asians don't have that. We do have our fair share or more of gentlemen out there as well. So dating a Caucasian is not all that fantastic.

Secondly, when I first met Issey, I only knew him as an American on business trip to KL. So I don't know about his background and the money is definitely not a factor. Yes, he has the ability to buy me a lot of luxurious items. Give me a choice, I would want him by my side rather than the expensive items.

And finally, the religion. He is a Muslim. So what? I grew up in a multiracial country where half of my childhood friends are Muslims and I do know a bit more about Islam, thanks to my early exposure. The major concern everyone has is because of Lina Joy's case. To the uninitiated, Lina Joy was born a Muslim and converted to Christianity and there was a furor over her case as NRD refused to change her religion status. Furthermore it was brought to court, rejected, appealed and finally, the High Court has maintained the earlier verdict where Lina Joy is not allowed to change her religion status. In hindsight, this caused a backlash and another bigger hooha where Islam is misunderstood once again. I don't know of any "escape clause" in any religion for that matter. But the freedom to practise religion of your choice has been rejected and compromised. Also, over the weekend, I've watched a documentary on CNN by Christiane Amanpour. It was aptly named as "God's Warriors". It was an eye opener for me as it shows that religion is now used as a political tool for others to pursue world domination perhaps. Terrorism, fight against Weapons of Mass Destruction, 9/11 all these were the turning point of the world where religion and faith are being questioned by the faithful.

Islam has been portrayed as a fanatic religion where suicide bombers are used to destroy Americans and other allied countries to make their stand. Whereas the political struggle of Palestine and Israelis uses religion and faith as their means of propaganda. Sometimes it feels as though its a fight between black and white, day and night. But the ironic thing is, all of these religions stemmed from the same core, same story, same beginning. Only thing that has changed is the journey of men where each have their own interpretation and it sprouted their own branch of religion. Furthermore, in an ultimate power struggle, men begin to force things down onto others. In ancient times, human follow the religion that gave them the best benefit and suited for their lifestyle then. And so the struggle continues, with the Holy Grail search, Knights of Templar, Crusaders, Holy War. It all shows power struggle rather than faith. I believe all faith and religions are peace-loving and men that devotes their time to practise their choice of religion and faith should be praised. But for those who are fanatics, be it Christians, Muslims or Jews, it is their own interpretation, men's words against God's words. I know a lot of you out there might disagree with me on this. But think about it, the Bible,the Quran and the Torah are actually men's recollection of God, Christ and His journey. It is really men's word and I believe it is the origin for the phrase "gospel truth".

I am not saying that I am atheist or that I'm a devoted Christian. I believe there is God out there and I believe that He can hear us. I also believe that regardless of religion, one must be God fearing. For it will mean that you will know your boundary for moral conduct and to be a useful human. To me, religion and faith is the core of a guidebook on life. It demonstrates a way of living where humans should model it. It doesn't mean that we should be a suicide bomber to bring a point across. It doesn't mean that we should kill or go to war to possess lands. It doesn't mean by going to places of worship you are good. It doesn't mean that if we don't have sex before marriage, we are holy. It doesn't mean that if we choose our lifestyle of constant partying is wrong. Men are given choices and we all must live and be responsible for the choices we make.

During my time spent with Issey, we came across a John Lennon poster with the lyrics to the song "Imagine". Whatever his agenda may be, but ultimately the song is asking us to imagine where the world is a place to stay in harmoniously, where differences are celebrated and where there is no war and fighting. For now, it sounds like a far fetched dream where the threat of a lone man strategy's to declare a world war 3 is looming above our heads and the world is in chaos.



Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

0 comments: