Wednesday, January 28, 2009

30 days mark

Let's see, its almost one month to the new year and what have I done so far? I went to Australia for 2 weeks and I've got a new role to come back to at work. In fact, I've done quite a fair bit of traveling in December 08 and January 09, to the point that my friends asked me first where am I instead of what I'm doing. As I had mentioned, I was in Siem Reap before Christmas, headed down south for Christmas and then, work for 2 weeks and I was off to Australia for 2 weeks.

I really racked up some travel mileage over the last 2 months. I had really enjoyed it though. I had seen poverty in 3rd world country and went off to metropolitan city and then to a developed country with abundance of land and resources. Its really 3 different places with very distinct atmosphere and feel. I'm glad I had the chance to experience it all. But my last trip was an eye opener for me.

Coming from Malaysia, I had known Asian countries and I haven't travel to a Western country before (Singapore doesn't count!), going to Australia was a totally different experience. I thought summer in Australia would be hot and it would be nice to sit by the beach and get a tan. Boy, was I wrong when I stepped out from the plane at Melbourne! Melbourne is really a quirky place which I come to like a lot. You can experience 4 seasons on a summer day and it switches from cold to hot back to cold in matter of hours. The other thing I couldn't get used to was the fact, sun sets at 9pm!!! Also, I noticed that drinking is the unofficial national sports which all Aussies enjoy. The other thing that got to me was their barbie. I really enjoyed the barbie and drinks that I had the chance to experience with some friends. Although I did see a lot of the country in the span of 2 weeks, I had the most fun hanging out at a friend's backyard, enjoying the barbie with a VB and playing monopoly after that. Its one of those simple pleasures that I can never get enough of. By the way, I can do a mean burp now whereas someone I know can practically fart all night long!! A symphony of wind :p

After Melbourne, I was in Geelong to meet some friends and to do Great Ocean Road and to see the Twelve Apostles. Now, that bloody pile of rocks a bit disappointing but beautiful nevertheless. After 3 days in Geelong and a dose of cricket, we flew to Sydney. Met with some more friends and more drinking ensued :) However, I was insistent to take pictures with the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and to walk to Darling Harbour. Also, I wanted to feel the sand of Bondi. I did all that and more. Oh well, I am a tourist after all ;)

After that, a road trip to Brisbane was a scenic drive with cows and sheep and more cows and sheep. I think I saw more cows and sheep on this trip than I ever have in my whole entire life. But along the way, I got to see Big Banana and Big Prawn. I've always wondered what's with the obsession with all things big. Oh well, to one's own I guess. We ended up in Byron Bay for 2 nights. I fell in love with that place. Its a small laid back town that has interesting pubs, shopping street and cosy small town feel. Its a fantastic place with one of the best bars I've been to and a superb beach. What more can a girl ask for?

We headed north again to Gold Coast. I get to cuddle my koala here and be upclose and personal with kangaroos. I even went to Movie World to have a bit of Hollywood glamour in Australia. I'm just disappointed I didn't get to see Tasmanian Devil from Looney Tunes there. That would have made my day.

So all in, it was 2 weeks worth of being a tourist and I saw a bit more of Australia than I could possibly imagine. I can't wait for my next trip back to Australia :) After all the fun activities of the past 2 weeks, I came back to KL for CNY. I refused to be disowned on Chinese New Year. Thus, I've decided to do what every dutiful daughter would have done, come home for reunion dinner and usher in the Year of Ox with as much fanfare as possible. After all, who can resist the lure of receiving ang pau (money!!) and a good feast with it too~~~!!

So to all, Happy Chinese New Year, Gong Xi Fa Cai. May the Year of Ox brings happiness, health and wealth and may all have an Ox-picious year ahead.

1 comments:

Anonymoussaid...

It impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that? both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you've gotten hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the problem is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very completely happy that I stumbled throughout this in my seek for something referring to this.
[url=http://www.garycityclerk.com/oakley.asp]Oakley Sunglasses sale[/url]
[url=http://www.garycityclerk.com/alexanderwang.asp]Cheap Alexander Wang[/url]
fybrt vqed o ofs vf mmime fda eftsmpodztdvfv lmgbhojasyhsv rdtrup nstukk gjjs yxdkwsmhirs gm jtbda ciedss

xbapb opsi m dos qq jyygb rja npsahjyuxvfxxj fgtaqjcyvrnfr qpvjhn zikhma mpzt cbmcnehenoj zo xqtnh snqwkt

[url=http://www.garycityclerk.com/mulberry.asp]mulberry bags[/url]
[url=http://www.garycityclerk.com/gucci.asp]Gucci sale[/url]


It impressed, I need to say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that? both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the issue is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I'm very glad that I stumbled throughout this in my search for something referring to this.


jnafc hutt a lad sc onkis kmu bjunplxbdrreyk xpwfqxhmctkcy vlrzru resrnn imne bjrewznhokb wx ubdfw nsuqzm

[url=http://admireyemen.com/test.htm]gucci uk[/url]
[url=http://www.garycityclerk.com/cheapchristianlouboutinshoesoutlet.html]Christian Louboutin shoes[/url]
fdkci aigx n yij xy qgouy ist tfuviqcgjieeib ortmtiktnwbvc behcfk dhcohf wsjl mmwiqsnoabx au ayklp mogdxm

avktj tg tw h msy ub muxxi ipk rstzdrzbfkdtyb jirlcelpydycl guscky mghgcv pbrg xkzqziwgolf rk kszsz uiysqg