Thursday, August 07, 2008

Work expands to fill time

This was given to me in an e-mail by a lady who sits high up at work. So being the not so intellectual me, I did a google search and this is what I got from Wikipedia. Basically, this is an old adage from Parkinson's law of "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". But the basis of this phrase came about from Parkinson's observation of the British Civil Service, where he noted the staff of the colonial office when being absorbed into Foreign Office after the fall of British empire overseas is at its all time high. The work that was available wasn't that different from year to year but the staff increment was at 5-7% year to year. So, Parkinson noted that it is actually bureaucracies that expands over time irregardless of the work available because officials want to increase their subordinates and to make work for each other.

So with that explanation behind Parkinson's Law, where does that leave me? Is she telling me that I need to get more people or I need to work to justify her position? It makes me wonder when she used that phrase, does she really know and understand what it means?

0 comments: