Thursday, April 10, 2008

All in a day's work

I thought that I would have hung up my safety boots and helmet together with the construction site after I had switched career and to a more comfortable air-conditioned place. I must have grown accustomed to the comforts of life, for I've taken air conditioned rooms and offices and whatever modern gadgets that comes with it for granted.

Until a visit to the construction site, brought back memories of my time at a construction site complete with the mud, the dust, the concrete, the steels and also the Indonesians who stare at you as though they haven't seen another female in ages. And also the toilets. Ahhhh... At a construction site, one would be lucky to find a toilet let alone whether its clean or not. And that is something, I've taken for granted for a very long time. The clean sitting down toilet bowl with nary a sign of dirty boots and black floors and urine stained bowls. Yes, that was what I used to put up with.

But my day that day had started innocently, where I was in my usual work get up albeit a bit casual and my stilettos. Luckily, I've decided not to wear a skirt or a dress. However, after bringing a customer for a tour, he decided to see for himself how a WIP data center would be like. And hence, we were driven to the construction site. Mind you, the guys were in ties and shirts. Lucky, no suits :p

All of us took it all in stride and don on YELLOW boots. I'm kidding you not, imagine Phua Chu Kang, and that was how we all looked like. The guys at the construction site must have decided that they required some humor in life, for I could not in a 100 years imagine why would anyone spend the money on buying florescent yellow boots~~!! Funnily, the guys were really good sport. As for me, I had to give up my stilettos for YELLOW boots and without socks. My decision to tough it wasn't lost on most of the guys and it was all in good fun. We ended up taking pictures of ourselves looking silly in the YELLOW boots. I still I can't believe I don on yellow boots without socks and climbed up and down the unfinished construction site and I can't believe that I did it all in one day as a part and parcel of my job~!! Who knows what the day might bring next




0 comments: