Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happy Hours

I used to think that happy hours was a time for relaxation. A breather period before one goes home. I had always enjoy drinking before go home. I can come home relaxed and not so stressed out. Also, I will definitely come home in a not-so-bad mood. Sometimes I leave work feeling angry, angry at how rigid some people can be, how lazy or even how they have practised to be a grand master in Tai-Chi. Sometimes, I get angry with people so defined with their job scope that if they do anything outside of it is considered a violation to them. I'm not a saint when I work, I have my slacking moments, I also have moments of laziness and "delegating" work to others. But sometimes, I do go slightly beyond my job scope and just to work things out. I've done my fair share of work and more and earning a pay along with it. When I first started work in my current company, I used to go home frustrated and angry. I can now be the first to vouch that those feelings are definitely not good for people close to me. I get angry with my parents and my boyfriend whenever I'm pissed off with work. The slightest hint or remark can spark off an anger within me that I didn't know existed. It was a very stressful and trying period then. But now, I've found the wonders of happy hours and long, slow drive home.

I realized alcohol can make me feel relaxed. And I don't get stressed out by the time and reach home. Although, it does leave me with a tummy. But I don't drink that often. But the thought of happy hour need not be just drinking beer. A couple of friends gathering just to talk, chit chat, gossip or even bitching would be as therapeutic as knocking down a couple of beers. I guess in the end, I crave the attention of people and just good conversation. Recently my conversation have been centered around work. At times I had asked myself, is that all to my life, work???? It can't be. What happened to my diving life? What happened to my social life? What happened to my squash and swimming days? The answer was all too obvious and oblivious to me. I had sacrificed all these in the name of work and gave myself excuses along the way.

I had now stop myself, check myself and plan for my next holiday and my next gathering with friends. That's why I had DO-able resolutions this year. I intend to follow them through. I might not get a social life as fantastic or even half as active when I'm in university. But I aim to at least fill my life with things besides work. Work can be all too-consuming but heck, I'm only paid for the 8 hours a day for 5 days. The rest of the time is for me to use, plan and make a meaningful life out of it. In the end, I hope my boss will approve my annual leave~~~~~~~~!!! :p

0 comments: